A fine relic from the Erie Railroad, this big steel wrench is approximately 18 inches long. It would be an eye-catcher mounted on a train room wall or over the mantel in any railfan's home!
A full 1/4 inch thick and 1 inch wide along its graceful curved length, it is strongly stamped ERIE.R.R. in tall block letters on the same side that the ends are marked for size: the larger end is 1-1/16 and the smaller is 7/8 . Made by well-known American tool manufacturer J. H. Williams & Co., it carries their "Diamond W"/USA trademark logo stamped into the larger end, which dates it to the 1915 - 1930s era.
Need a big wrench for any household chore ? GO AHEAD AND USE IT ! it's the best kind of antique -- you can use it without harming it !
CONDITION is superb, with a great feel in the hand and the warm patina of older steel. Absolutely no rust and no cracks! It has very light surface marks documenting use and adding to its railroad character.
BACKGROUND: In 1882, James Harvey Williams and Matthew Diamond founded a company they named Williams & Diamond in Flushing, New York. The business was relocated to Brooklyn in 1884, and took the name J.H. Williams & Co in 1887. The company was one of the first to offer mass-produced drop-forged hand tools, which were very popular with their railway customers. A second factory was opened in Buffalo, New York in 1914 (now the site of General Motors' Tonawanda Engine plant). The company prospered and grew into a nationally respected firm, with increasing demand for the steel and alloy tools they made that were affordable without sacrificing quality. J. H. Williams & Co. endured over many years until the company was acquired by Snap-on in 1993. In 2011, it was officially renamed Snap-on Industrial Brands, with which we are familiar today.
NOTE: Click [ FAVORITE "Heart" SHOP ] at the top of this page if you would like to get Email notices about New Listings and Revisions to current items!
Vintage Terrific Erie Railroad Open Ended Steel Wrench