This item from The Antique Boutique ® is now SOLD.
More from The Antique Boutique ®
Extraordinary large antique 19th century French rosewood and gilt bronze rare triple tea caddy retailed by Alphonse Giroux, a cabinetmaker of the Napoleon III era whose works are highly revered as the finest in Paris during this time period, of a caliber as Tahan and Vervelle.
Beautifully crafted of quality alternating rosewood veneers. Enhanced with sumptuous Louis XVI/Rococo style gilt bronze mounts. Featuring intricate friezes, ornate corner mounts with rocailles and cascading floral festoons. Surmounted with a stylized asymmetrical cartouche on the lid and elaborate escutcheon lock plate. Resting on four ornate feet.
Opening to a black lacquered interior and three matching lids fitted with gilt ormolu trim and floral form knobs. Revealing three divided foil paper lined compartments with deep wells to house assorted favorite teas. Two lids still bear their original A. Giroux paper labels on the understand. Retains a lock but lacking a key. In very good condition for a piece of this age and type with general wear. A thin age or drying split in the the veneer in a spot or two, hidden among the diagonal grain. There is a small nick or bruise in the the wood on the side. Impressive sized box, measures 14" length x 7" width x 7 1/4" height.
Founded in 1799 by Simon Alphonse Giroux (1775-1848) Parisian cabinetmaker and official restorer for Notre Dame, the firm of "Maison Alphonse Giroux" also known as "Giroux & Cie" was located at 7 rue du coq Saint-Honoré in Paris. Specializing in producing fine objects d'art and exquisite furniture for a list of wealthy clientele and patronized by members of the French Royal Family, including Louis XVIII, Charles X, Henri V and especially Napoleon III and Empress Eugénie. Giroux was also a relative of Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre, the French artist and scientist who invented the daguerreotype. Giroux contributed to Daguerre's success by making the first production of the camera, "La Daguerrotype," in fine walnut. In 1838, the business was taken over by his eldest son, Alphonse Gustave Giroux. Under his guidance and innovative planning, the business grew to become one of the first and most prestigious department stores in Paris, while continuing to take important commissions for custom work. The firm received a silver medal at the 1839 Exposition des l'Industrie Francaise and produced pieces for the World Exposition of 1855.
If you were the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.
GIROUX Large Napoleon III era French Triple Tea Caddy, Box
Quality Antiques, Sterling Silver, Porcelain & Decorative Arts