Antique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar CasketAntique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar Casket

Beautiful antique 19th century Bohemian ruby overlay glass box with stunning engraved cut to clear intaglios throughout. The glass is a rich ruby red color, cut with thick chamfer beveled edges and clipped corners. Each side of the box engraved with baroque rocailles and scrolling grape vines. A gorgeous architectural ‘spa’ view adorns the lid, beautifully engraved with exquisite detail. A souvenir with an early view of the western end of Le Point de Kehl, a railway bridge across the Rhine connecting Kehl and Strasbourg, first opened and made operational in 1861. Hinged bronze or brass metal mounts circle the box with a rounded escutcheon shaped lock plate to the front In good antique condition for age and time with general wear, some scratches to the ruby color and surface wear to the base as shown. Lacking a key. Measures 4 5/8" length x 3" width x 3 3/4" height.

This bridge has quite a history. Since it’s construction, the bridge has been partially or fully destroyed more than once and looks vastly different today. Under the terms of an international 1857 convention between Baden and the French government, it was agreed that a railway bridge would be constructed across the Rhine to connect Kehl and Strasbourg. The eastern end of the bridge was dynamited at the onset of the Franco-Prussian war of 1870. A temporary timber structure was incorporated until a new steel structure could be erected in 1874. Between 1871 to 1919, the bride was located within Germany as a result of the war. Under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, the bridge would be wholly owned by France, this continued up until 1930. The bridge yet again was destroyed, this time on the west end, by French troops during the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. In 1944, German troops blew up the bridge’s main eastern support, effectively destroying the bridge in its totally. It wasn't until 1956 that a new bridge was fully constructed and operational, replaced in 2010 for a newly built twin track bridge to allow faster passage of trains. Definitely a view from the past.

Item ID: BX-1423

Antique Bohemian Ruby Glass Engraved Intaglios, Spa View, Jewelry Box, Sugar Casket

$1,095 USD

Add to Cart
Questions about this item?
Email Shop

21 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List


The Antique Boutique ®


Tobba Ascano
Texas   

Quality Antiques, Sterling Silver, Porcelain & Decorative Arts

Member since 2004

calculating shipping...

More from The Antique Boutique ®