Historic W. Birch & Son engraving of the New Lutheran Church, in Fourth Street Philadelphia. It depicts a Native American delegation, in Philadelphia to settle its affairs with the Federal government, touring the then capital of the United States. This subject is plate number 6 of The City of Philadelphia As it Appeared in the Year 1800, a series of twenty seven engravings by William Russell Birch first published in 1800. The New Lutheran Church, also known as New Zion, was designed by architect Robert Smith, built between 1758 and 1761 and was, at the time of Birch's portrayal, the largest church building in Philadelphia. Inscription below the image reads as follows:
New Lutheran Church, in 4th Street Philadelphia
Drawn & Engraved by W. Birch & Son.
Published by R. Campbell & Co. N°. 30 Chestnut Street Philad. 1799.
William Russell Birch (1755–1844) was an English born artist who emigrated to America in 1795 and settled in Philadelphia. He was best known for his miniature portraits, enamels and the Views of Philadelphia series. It comes nicely matted and framed ready to display. In very good used condition with toning, minor foxing and stains mostly concealed by mat, laid on board. Shipped fully insured with tracking number.
Measurements: Frame: 20 1/4" by 16 1/4"; Mat Opening: 11 1/2 by 9 1/2"approximately.
18 other shoppers are interested in this item
Mostly 19th Century Art and Antiques
Welcome to our shop! Lay-aways available. Like us on Facebook Amulet Art and Antiques