This antique compote is impressed Ryrie Sterling on the underside with some hand etched numbers. James Ryrie was an important early jeweler in Toronto who opened shop in 1879, joined with his brother Harry to form Ryrie Brothers in 1897, and consolidated with Henry Birks in 1905 changing the name to Ryrie Birks in 1925. This lovely example of Ryrie’s work has a fabulous 2 1/8 inch wide border that is finely pierced in a very detailed geometric pattern and a handsome reeded edge that is repeated on the pedestal. The sterling compote is 8 inches in diameter and 2 5/8 inches high, and weighs 290 grams. It is in excellent condition with minor surface marks from polishing or light use that are only noticeable on close inspection and do not detract.