If you are looking for a rare statement piece for a study or bar, this is it. Quite wonderful, the cut crystal decanter in the form of a Scottish Thistle towers 18 1/2" tall to the top of the stopper.
The front retains the original gilded writing "D.C.L Scotch Whisky" for Distillers Company Limited. The Company was formed in 1877 by a combination of six Scotch whisky distilleries: Macfarlane & Co., John Bald & Co. John Haig & Co, MacNab Bros & Co, Robert Mowbray and Stewart & Co. This company was born out of a trade association called the Scotch Distillers’ Association formed in 1865.
It combined with John Walker & Son and Buchanan-Dewar in 1925.
It was acquired by Guinness in 1986, forming United Distillers and the majority of its assets are now part of Diageo.
The decanter has a fabulous original brass spigot to the front. The back is etched with an English design registration number allowing us to date the piece accurately, the number, 316611 was registered in the year 1898.
A grand and spectacular showpiece in superb condition. The base diameter measures 7 3/4" and spans 10 3/4" including the spigot.