Pretty as a picture, this Victorian biscuit box is automated or mechanical. The upright handle is moved to one side and the lift one side lifts up; the handle can stay down which leaves the lid up. This works in the same way when the handle is moved the other way, with the other lid lifting.
Each of lids is beautifully engraved, this together with fluted repousse sides and the pretty handle creates quite a picture. The underside is marked by the silversmith, George Wish of Sheffield and dates the piece to c.1880. 6" x 5" x 6" tall to top of box and 8 3/4" to top of handle.