A circa 1920's etching of the Woolworth Building in New York City, the print signed in the plate and then pencil signed at lower right margin by American artist F.W.W. HOPPE. The artist did leave behind a number of etchings of New York scenes, but there seems to be a lack of biographical information on him or her. The print is in brown ink on a thin paper. Measurements inside the present mat (no glass) are 9 1/2" by 5 1/4" (14 1/4" by 9 1/2" in thin strip frame). You would want to reframe and replace the worn, acidic mat. The sheet appears to extend out to the full dimensions of the strip framing. There is some wear seen in the sharp "lip" of the paper, under the unusually distinct plate mark, at bottom (final image). Paper is evenly toned with age.
From Wikipedia: The Woolworth Building is an early American skyscraper located at 233 Broadway in Manhattan, New York City. Designed by architect Cass Gilbert, it was the tallest building in the world from 1913 to 1930, with a height of 792 feet (241 m). More than a century after its construction, it remains one of the 100 tallest buildings in the United States as well as one of the 30 tallest buildings in New York City.
Located in Manhattan's Financial District, the Woolworth Building is bounded by Broadway to its east, Park Place to its north, and Barclay Street to its south. The 60-story structure consists of a 30-story tower situated atop a 30-story base. Its facade is mostly decorated with terracotta (though the lower portions are limestone) and contains thousands of windows. The ornate lobby contains various sculptures, mosaics, and architectural touches. The structure was also designed with several amenities and attractions, including a now-closed observatory on the 57th floor and a private swimming pool in the basement.
The skyscraper was originally conceived by F. W. Woolworth, the founder of a brand of popular five-and-ten-cent stores, as a headquarters for his eponymous company. Woolworth planned the skyscraper jointly with the Irving National Exchange Bank, which also agreed to use the structure as its headquarters. The Woolworth Building had originally been planned as a 12- to 16-story commercial building, but underwent several revisions to its plans during its planning process. Its final height was not decided upon until January 1911. Construction started in 1910, and it was completed two years later. The building officially opened on April 24, 1913.
The Woolworth Building underwent several changes throughout its history. The facade was cleaned in 1932, and the building received an extensive renovation between 1977 and 1981. Though the Irving National Exchange Bank moved its headquarters to 1 Wall Street in 1931, the Woolworth Company (later Venator Group) continued to own the Woolworth Building for most of the 20th century. The structure was sold to the Witkoff Group in 1998. The top thirty floors, formerly used as office space, were sold to a developer in 2012 and subsequently converted into residences. The remainder of the building remains in use by office and commercial tenants. The Woolworth Building has been a National Historic Landmark since 1966, and a New York City designated landmark since 1983.
F.W.W. HOPPE circa 1920's signed etching of Woolworth Building in New York