Oil on board painting, 19 1/4" by 12 3/4", the subject the interior of a Jewish place of worship, signed at lower left by the well listed Jewish artist MAX BAND (1900-1974). Band was born in Lithuania and spent much of his earlier life in Paris, after study at the Berlin Academy. His works often feature Judaic themes, though subject matter can range from florals to European urban vistas to genre and portraits. In 1940, presumably as war clouds threatened in Europe, Band moved to Los Angeles, where he lived until the end of his life. The prestigious Stendhal Gallery there held an exhibition of his works in 1941, and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art held another exhibition in 1943. Band's paintings have sold at auction in Europe, Israel, and the United States, sometimes for as much as five figures. This example, recently obtained from the estate of a prominent member of Los Angeles' Jewish community, is in excellent condition. Simply framed, and very understated, it is an impressive work of Jewish art, a fine acquisition for the collector of Judaica. Band remains an undervalued artist of the "Ecole de Paris", but his auction prices have been rising in recent years at auction, especially in Poland, Lithuania, and France.
MAX BAND (1900-1974) Judaica painting of synagogue interior by School of Paris well listed artist