• Signed F.B. Paris and DH; Feburier & Boussemart (ref Marks and Monograms on Pottery and Porcelain, W Chaffers 1875)
• Neoclassical Statuettes; Boy Carrying Bushel Basket of Fruit and Girl Carrying Basket of Flowers
• Mantel Ivy Rose Vases; Match Holders
• Old Paris Faience; French Art Pottery
• Antique likely mid-late 1800's
• Measurements: 13 1/2" to the highest point and 6 1/4" outer base diameter
• Weight, prepackaged: Boy - 5 lbs 6.2 oz. Girl - 5 lbs 11.3 oz.
• Condition: Overall they are exceptional pieces in excellent condition. They are constructed with high quality near white porcelain with tin-glazed painting (Faience). There are very few inconsistencies and flaws in the porcelain. The craftsmanship is outstanding with only very minor flaws none easy to find or worth noting. The colors are bright, vibrant, well applied and eye appealing. They were likely introduced as Ivy or Rose Vases, however the previous owner purchased them as match holders from an antique dealer. Their substantial size and detail are perfect for use as centerpieces or mantel displays. They both have some minor condition issues worth noting as follows.
Boy Figure: The pear in the boys hand appears to have had a top which is missing. It's easy to miss even under close inspection, notable by unglazed spot on the top of the hand and light roughness. The interior of the basket has a pool of clear glaze in the bottom with a few lines through it. The basket has nice resonance for the design, so it's likely crazing on the interior. The balance of the piece is free of chips, cracks, crazing and repairs, including the base, corners, fruits and edges. The basket interior is clean with no notable scratches, mineral deposits or staining. The tin-glaze paint is superb and well done. The boots and sash both had paint applied after firing which has faded as seen in the photos. The bottom has light shelf wear as expected and is impressed "F.B." over "PARIS" in a dotted oval.
Girl Figure: The girl has a small flake off the glaze on the bottom eye lid as photoed. The balance of the piece is free of chips, cracks, crazing, fleabites and repairs, including all the flowers, edges and corners. The basket has nice resonance and is clean with no notable scratches, mineral deposits or staining. The paint is superb with no wear, fading or marks. The bottom has light shelf wear as expected. The bottom is marked "DH" likely the artists initials.
Overall they are exceptional pieces with some minor concerns as detailed in the full description and photos.
Antique Boy & Girl Faience Mantle Ivy Vase Set, Signed FB Paris & DH, France 13"