The Courtland Toy Company was founded in 1944 by Mr. Walter Reach. He started out making die-cut cardboard toys (with lithographed paper),and then changed to lithographed tin, after WWII. The company was first located in Camden, New Jersey and in 1947 with 1.5 million dollars in sales and 600 employees the company moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Production ceased in 1954.
This rather scarce wind-up toy truck was produced in the early 1950's. The Ford body style is tin litho with plastic cab roof. Detailed on each side "Service Express - Light Hauling" and displays "C4500 NJ" license plates. Overall condition shows wear from play, but should rate 6 to 7 out of a perfect 10. The mechanism does not function, probably wound to tightly.