E. Challinor & Co., Fenton Potteries, Staffordshire, operated from 1843-1862; subsequently operated as E. & C. Challinor from 1862-1891.
This wonderful blue transfer-ware serving platter, circa 1850's, is the "Ancona" pattern. The central motif is a formal classical pavilion overlooking a lake and castle situated on its shore. The huge arches, banister stairway, statuary, trees and flowers make an inviting spot for the three couples who have gathered to enjoy the surroundings. The wide border consists of a garland of grape leaves against a background of wavy lines. The eight-point platter measures 15 3/4" in length, 12" in width and 1 5/8" in height and is stamped "E Challinor - Ancona". There are no cracks or repairs; a shallow edge chip on one of the points and several minor pit marks (see photos).