The William Grindley & Co was founded in 1880 by William Harry Grindley and Mr Turner. They produced earthenware and ironstone china for foreign markets, including the United States. In 1960 the business was purchased by Alfred Clough Ltd.
This lovely oval serving platter is the "Aldine" pattern, registered in 1898, which consists of rows of garlands of delicate flow blue flowers and foliage surrounding the outer border against the white porcelain. The platter is also embossed with a garland of floral, leaves and scrolls. The oval platter measures 10" in length, 7" across and is marked with a printed mark incorporating a globe and steamer boat and "Aldine - Trade Mark - Wm Grindley & Co England - Rd No 325874"; this mark was used from 1891-1914. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; some light crazing.