The William Grindley & Co was founded in 1880 by William Harry Grindley and Mr Turner. They produced earthenware and ironstone china for foreign markets, including the United States. In 1960 the business was purchased by Alfred Clough Ltd.
This gorgeous oval covered tureen is the "Aldine" pattern, registered in 1898, which consists of rows of garlands of delicate flow blue flowers and foliage surrounding the bowl and lid against the white porcelain. The lid is embossed with a garland of floral, leaves and scrolls, along with a decorative finial handle. The bowl has decorative handles and rests on a raised eight point base. The bowl measures 6 1/2" across, 12" across the handles and 5 3/4" in height to top of the handled lid. It is marked with a printed mark incorporating a globe and steamer boat and "Aldine - Trade Mark - Wm Grindley & Co England - Rd No 325874"; this mark was used from 1891-1914. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint.