John Doulton and his partners established a pottery and stoneware business in Lambeth, South London in 1815. The company took the name Doulton in 1853 and became Britain's leading manufacturer of industrial ceramics, art pottery, commemorative items and luxury table-wares, purchasing their Burslem factory in the 1870s. In 1901 King Edward VII conferred the double honor of the royal warrant and the specific right to use the title "Royal". In 2006 Royal Doulton was taken over by the Waterford Wedgwood group, which went into administration in 2009. The company is now part of WWRD Holdings Lt
Royal Doulton " Sketches from Teniers" plate in a historical blue color, circa early 1900's. It depicts a tavern scene with men laughing and drinking. The series was styled after the sketches by the Flemish painter David Teniers, the younger (1610 - 1690). The series was introduced in 1905 and withdrawn in the 1930's. The blue is deep and beautiful, fabulous depth and detail.
The plate measures 10 1/2" across and is stamped with the Royal Doulton logo used from 1901-1922 and a flying ribbon "Sketches form Teniers" with portrait of a man holding a glass of ale. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; light overall crazing, some light staining on underside.
Royal Doulton Historical Blue Cabinet Plate "Sketches from Teniers" Series