American studio potter Eugene Deutch (1904-1959) was born in Budapest. Deutch left Hungary in 1923 and moved to France, briefly studying sculpture under Brancusi. Four years later, he moved to Chicago and in 1934 opened his first studio, Ceramic Atelier. He also taught at the Chicago Art Institute and the Lewis Institute, home of Mies (Less is More) Van Der Rohe and counted Frank Lloyd Wright as one of his many patrons. His work is in the permanent collection of the Art Institute of Chicago, The Milwaukee Art Museum, and The Smart Museum at the University of Chicago.
He used clay from Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee and New Jersey, creating vessels of simple forms with rich glazes in shades of gunmetal, cream, granite gray and chocolate with contrasting shades of cobalt blue, aqua, gold, turquoise and moss green.
This rectangular-shaped bowl measures 6" by 4" by 1 1/2" in depth and rests on a raised base. The rich glazes of olive green with hints of blue covers the ridged exterior sides while gray and rust enhances the interior. Signed on the base "E Deutch 1947". There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint and scarce combination of glazes.
4 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Fine Antiques & Vintage Items Always Being Added For Your Shopping Pleasure. Serious Offers Considered