Thomas Mayer is an elusive figure in Staffordshire pottery history. Around 1827-1838 he occupied a pottery called Cliff Bank in Stoke-upon-Trent. In 1838 he and the Mayer family moved into the house adjacent to the manufactory which was in Dale Hall, a district of Longport, Burslem in the Staffordshire Potteries. Here he was joined by his brother, 1841 trade directory lists “Mayer, Thomas & John”. By 1846 Thomas & John were joined by another brother, Joseph and they continued in business at Dale Hall as T. J. & J. Mayer. The business continued as T. J. & J. Mayer until the time of Thomas’s death in October 1855.
This gorgeous Thomas Mayer blue transfer-ware serving bowl; circa 1835, is the "Canova" pattern. The central motif is a scenic park-like landscape of trees, buildings, huge figural decorated urn, various floral and stream with gondola. The wide, flared rim is decorated with four cartouches of floral arrangements and four of a scenic motif of floral, urn, lake and sailing vessel. The sides of the exterior have blue bars of geometric designs. The serving bowl measures 10 1/2" in length. 8 7/8" in width, and 2" in depth with gently scalloped rim. The piece is unmarked as many early items were. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint.
7 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.