A.J. Wilkinson (Arthur J. Wilkinson, Royal Staffordshire Pottery) was owned by the Shorter family since 1894. The pottery had formerly been operated in turn by Hopkin & Vernon, Hulme & Booth, Thomas Hulme, Burgess & Leigh, and Richard Alcock, who enlarged the works extensively. On Alcock's death in 1881, the owners became Wilkinson & Hulme and in 1885 to Arthur J. Wilkinson. In about 1896 A. J. Wilkinson took over the Royal Staffordshire Pottery in Burslem.
This lovely flow blue porcelain pattern is named "Iris", circa early 1900's, and incorporates the Art Nouveau influences of the period. The motif features stylized iris blossoms with long slender leaves, flowing curves and arches with delicate stippled and cross-hatched designs all in a deep cobalt blue pallet. Some pieces have additional gold highlights, both cups and saucers in these sets of two exhibit gold highlights in varying degrees. The saucers measure 6" across and are stamped in blue with the Wilkinson logo "Iris - Royal Staffordshire Pottery - Burslem England - F C". This mark was used in 1907 without the Wilkinson name. The cups are not marked. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; normal crazing.
21 other shoppers are interested in this item
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Thanks for visiting Bry's Antiques with over 2600 ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to select for purchase. Serious offers considered.