A.J. Wilkinson (Arthur J. Wilkinson, Royal Staffordshire Pottery) was owned by the Shorter family since 1894. The pottery had formerly been operated in turn by Hopkin & Vernon, Hulme & Booth, Thomas Hulme, Burgess & Leigh, and Richard Alcock, who enlarged the works extensively. On Alcock's death in 1881, the owners became Wilkinson & Hulme and in 1885 to Arthur J. Wilkinson. In about 1896 A. J. Wilkinson took over the Royal Staffordshire Pottery in Burslem.
This lovely flow blue porcelain pattern is named "Iris", circa early 1900's, and incorporates the Art Nouveau influences of the period. The motif features stylized iris blossoms with long slender leaves, flowing curves and arches with delicate stippled and cross-hatched designs all in a deep cobalt blue pallet. Some pieces have additional gold highlights, these luncheon plates do not. The luncheon plates measure 9" across. They are stamped in blue with the Wilkinson logo "Iris - Royal Staffordshire Pottery - Burslem England". This mark was used in 1907 without the Wilkinson name. There are no cracks, chip, repairs; normal crazing and several small light stains.
13 other shoppers are interested in this item
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
NOW IS THE TIME to get what Santa forgot. 15% off all orders over $200, excluding sale items. OFFER ENDS 1-31-19.