J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company, South Wheeling, West Virginia, was one of the largest and best known manufacturers of glass in the United States in the 19th century. The firm was first organized as Barnes and Hobbs in 1845 by James B. Barnes and John L. Hobbs. The firm was reorganized multiple times during the next half century, but members of the Hobbs family were always part of the ownership. The most famous iteration of the company was named J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company. This version of the firm was organized in 1863 as a co-partnership between John L. Hobbs, son John H. Hobbs, and Charles W. Brockunier. Its products were mostly pressed and blown tableware. In 1893, the glass works was closed. It remained closed until 1902 when the property was sold to Harry Northwood—a former employee.
This wonderful pressed glass covered butter dish, circa 1876-1890, was first made for the Philadelphia Centennial. It was originally called "Centennial" but is better know as "Viking" or "Bearded Man". The clear, non-flint glass covered butter has viking heads on the three feet of the base and as a finial on the lid. The piece measures 6 1/4" across the cover and 5 3/4" in height to the top of the cover. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint. Great EAPG pattern.
21 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Fine Antiques & Vintage Items Always Being Added For Your Shopping Pleasure. Serious Offers Considered