Bernard Bloch was an entrepreneur in the field of ceramic industry and established the famous factory B. Bloch & Co. which, in 1920, was renamed to Eichwald Porcelain and Stove Factory Bloch & Co. In 1869, Bloch purchased an enterprise focusing on earthenware and faience production from the family of Huff.
In 1895, Bernard Bloch extended the field of his activities via purchasing the prosperous firm of C. Teichert (Meissen) based in Eichwald (today the city of Dubí) which was the first on the Czech territory to apply the blue motif of the co-called onion.
Bernard Bloch gained fame mainly by the production of figural tobacco containers and other tobacco products, characteristic of detailed and extremely refined processing. During the Second World War, the factory was confiscated by the Nazis and sold to the company Dr. H. Wider & Co. After the war, in 1947, the facility was nationalized and affiliated to other porcelain factories.
This is one of two wonderful portrait vases, circa 1918-1939, executed in shades of blue/gray on white porcelain blanks. The coloration reminds one of Danish porcelains. The portraits on both vases are those of a Jack Russell Terrier with slightly different poses. The vases measure 10 1/4" in height, 2" across the top and 2 1/4" across the base. Marked, under-glaze in blue, with a "Crown" over an "E" mark, along with various numbers that are probably pattern or inventory numbers. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; would make a nice pair. Beautiful.