The first Rosenthal company, a factory decorating porcelain was started in 1879 in Southern Germany. Founded by Philip Rosenthal in Erkerseuth, near Selv, Bavaria, it was relocated to Selb in 1890.
This lovely scenic Delft Plate depicts a quaint and quiet canal scene with a large windmill, light posts, horse drawn cart, people walking and another windmill with buildings in the distance against a background of hazy blue sky filled with clouds. The wide border is decorated with two large scroll designs.
The plate is marked in blue with the Rosenthal logo, "R C Delft" & "Germany", and in green the crossed swords Rosenthal stamp with "Versailles", circa 1900. The plate measures 9 3/4"in width with a delicate embossed sculptured edge. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Fantastic piece of Delft