The Lladro Porcelain company was founded in 1953 by three brothers, Juan, Jose and Vicente Lladro, in the village of Almassera near Valencia. Starting with items such as vases and jugs, it wasn't until 1956 that they started producing the sculptures for which they are now most famous. Enthusiasm for the items produced by the Lladro brothers saw their small workshop expand several times until eventually they moved to Tavernes Blanques in 1958.
Among their wide variety of quality sculptures are lovely polar bear figures. This particular sculpture #5434, named "Polar Bear Miniature", was first introduced in the 1987 and retired in the 2001. It was designed by Antonio Ramos.
It features the mother polar bear standing guard next to her twin cubs. The figurine measures 4" in length, 2 3/4"" in width and 3 1/2" in height. Stamped in dark blue with Lladro's seventh mark introduced in 1990 with the revised bellflower logo and typeface, "Lladro - Hand Made in Spain - Daisa 1986", as well as several incised marks. The original box is not available. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint.