Christoph Hertwig and Benjamin Beyermann founded the company in 1864 and after various test runs started full production a year later. In 1869 Beyermann quit and left Hertwig as sole proprietor who then employed his sons Karl and Friedrich as managers which over time slowly increased productivity. Around the year 1890 the company already had a workforce of 300 people and gave work to 600 home workers; they produced children's dolls, decorative objects, gifts as well as stoneware products and from 1900 on-wards also made porcelain figures. The company survived WWII without damage and the product range was at first reduced to decorational and utility ceramics. The factory was nationalized in 1958 and the product range was cut back to decorational ceramics only. After German reunification in 1990, the run down factory was closed.
This wonderful porcelain figurine, circa 1940's, is of a chocolate brown horse with darker mane and tail with a white design on it's forehead, nose and wearing white stockings. The figure measures 6 1/2" in length, 5 3/4'" in height and stands on a rectangular base. It is stamped in green with the company logo and "G H". This marking was used between 1914-1945. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; tiny white glaze miss on one side; near mint. Great form and color.
10 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Christmas is fast approaching. Over 2400 jewelry, porcelain, glass and other great gift items from which to choose.