Royal Doulton has been producing porcelain ceramics and dinnerware for approximately 200 years. From a meager beginning in 1815, John Doulton, amassed one of the largest pottery and porcelain factories this world has ever known.
This wonderful Royal Doulton figurine entitled "The Orange Lady" was produced from 1940-1975. Designed by Leslie Harradine, it portrays an elderly lady carrying two baskets full of oranges as she makes her rounds selling the delicious fruit. She is neatly attired in a long, light green shirt and a dark green shawl with rose fringe covers her shoulders and arms nearly hiding the burgundy, long-sleeve blouse beneath. She wears a black and rose floral decorated hat that rests on neatly combed gray hair above a pleasant, slightly smiling face.
Arthur L. Harradine (known to Doulton collectors as Leslie) joined Doulton's Lambeth Studios in 1902 as an apprentice modeler. Working as a freelance artist, Harradine developed a wonderful gift for sculpting wind-blown ladies and flouncing damsels. Harradine’s figures are among the most collected Doulton masterpieces.
The figurine stands 8 1/2" in height. Stamped in green with the Royal Doulton logo, "The Orange Lady" & "HN 1953" in hand script and decorators insignia "L". There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint. This is a wonderful figurine for the Royal Doulton or figurine collector.