Peter Schoenhofen, a Prussian immigrant, was in Chicago working in the brewing trade by the 1850s. In 1861, he started a partnership with Matheus Gottfried; they were soon operating a brewery at Canalport Avenue and 18th Street, Chicago. In 1867, Schoenhofen bought out his partner, and the company became the Peter Schoenhofen Brewing Co. During the 1890s, the business was owned by the City Contract Co. of London, England. Around 1900, the Schoenhofen family regained control of the company, which employed about 500 people at its brewery on West 12th Street by 1910. During this time, the company was also known as the National Brewing Co. Operations shut down during Prohibition, but by 1933, after the national ban on alcohol production was lifted, the company was back in business as the Schoenhofen-Edelweiss Co. After being purchased by the Atlas Brewing Co. in the late 1940s, Schoenhofen became part of Dewery's Ltd. of South Bend, Indiana, in 1951, and thereafter assumed the Dewery's name. By the beginning of the 1970s, there was nothing left of its Chicago operations, although Dewery's reintroduced the famous Edelweiss brand in 1972 after nearly a decade-long hiatus.
This is one of four wonderful, rare vintage advertising fans for Edelweiss Beer - A Case Of Good Judgment - circa 1920. Fabulous color lithograph image of a Pinocchio-like character looking at the ball poised for his big 250 year drive. The cardboard fan is stapled to a wooden stick handle measuring 14 3/4" in length, including the handle. The fan portion measures 10" in length and 8" in width. Marked along the border on the front "Copyright P. Schoenhofen Brewing Co." and on the back "Edelweiss Beer" & "Ostenrieder Advertising Agency - Chicago". The fan is in excellent vintage condition with only minor wear. Great addition for a Breweriana collection; would look great framed.