Higgins Glass was founded in 1948, in Chicago, Illinois, by Michael and Frances Higgins. They produced art glass and fused glass, including housewares, tableware, wall sculptures, jewelry and much more. From 1947 until 1964, they partnered with Dearborn Glass Company and produced “higgins-ware”. items included ashtrays, tableware and room dividers, with over 75 patterns produced. In 1965, they briefly moved their base of operations to Haegar Potteries, then in 1966, opened their own studio in Riverside, Illinois, where they’ve been ever since. Michael Higgins died in 1999 and his wife Frances died a few years later in 2004. The company is still in operation today under longtime associates, Jonathan and Louise Whimmer.
This fabulous fused glass wall plaque, circa 1950's, is probably designed to Frances Higgins and is associated with her 'Sparkler' series of wall plaques. The mid-century modern design incorporates vertical fused glass bars of various dimensions and thicknesses in shades of yellowish green and aqua with intermittent gold tabs. The plaque measures 11 1/2" in length, 5" in width and is etched "Higgins" on the bottom right side corner. It would originally have been framed or had metal tabs for hanging. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; several small abrasions on the front flat edge probably caused by the original tab hangers. Wonderful plaque with great form and color.