The William B Durgin Co., Concord, New Hampshire and Providence, Rhode Island was organized in 1880 and operated until 1905. The firm was absorbed into the Gorham Company who continued to use the script 'D' mark until 1930.
This lovely set of 6 sterling silver teaspoons in the Bead or Original Bead pattern were introduced in 1893. The pattern consists of a beaded border surrounding the handle with 'tipit' design end and fabulous fluted design bowl. They were designed with the fluted bowl to be used separately as dessert or ice cream spoons. The spoons measure 5 3/4" in length, are stamped with the Durgin Hallmark "Script D", "Sterling" and "Carter Bros." the company for which they were made. The Carter Bros Co. was a located in Portland, Maine and handled fine watches, jewelry and sterling silver wares. The spoons are heavier than most and the set of 6 weighs 4.405 ounces. Excellent condition with no damages; some light patina.