J. Tostrup was founded in 1832 by Jacob Tostrup (1806-1890) in Christiania (now Oslo), Norway. As a boy, Tostrup was an apprentice at a local silversmith. He then received a thorough education in all aspects of the jewelry trade while studying under master goldsmith Christopher Desingthun in Bergen. He spent a brief period of time in Saint Petersburg, working on projects for the Russian imperial court, before returning to Christiania in to establish his own business, which continues today.
This fabulous set of 12 demi-tasse spoons, circa 1900-1920, are still in their original presentation box. The spoons are delicately decorated with an Arts & Crafts design of inter-woven vines and three-pedal blossoms. Each are monogrammed with an 'A' on the handle, while the back-side of the handle is engraved 'Christiania'. The original presentation box is lined with silk and stenciled in gold 'J Tostrup - Guld & Solvvarer - Kristiania'. The spoons measure 4 1/2" in length and the set weights 4.32 ounces. Stamped with the J. Tostrup hallmark and 'JT 830S'. Wonderful near mint condition.