The Kalo Shop acted almost as a metal-craft university, training many silversmiths who left to start their own Shops. The most notable of these was probably Julius O. Randahl. Randahl was a Swedish silversmith who worked at the Kalo Shop from 1907 to 1910-- important Park Ridge years when Kalo was growing quickly and creating some of its best work. After leaving, Randahl and another ex-Kalo silversmith, Matthias Hanck formed a shop called the Julmat (from the first syllables from each of their names), which lasted just one year. After this short-lived store closed, Hanck opened a small shop in Park Ridge specializing in jewelry. Randahl founded the Randahl Shop, probably inspired by the Kalo model, with one important difference -- Randahl sold his hollow-ware through department stores and jewelry shops rather than just from his storefront.
The Shop closed during the first World War, and when Randahl re-opened it he introduced mechanization. While some work was still done the old way, it was no longer a pure hand-wrought operation like Kalo. Randahl arranged for national distribution, and soon had 15 - 20 workers producing his hollow-ware. The Shop did well enough to weather the Depression years and prospered into the 1950's, when Randahl, now in business with his sons as the Randahl Company, purchased Cellini Craft, an Evanston, IL silversmith dating back to 1914. Finally, in 1965, the business was sold to Reed & Barton.
This lovely Arts & Crafts design bowl, circa 1940, could be used for sauces, candy and nuts. The simple round shape is highlighted by two distinctly beautiful handles. The bowl measures 6" across the center, 7 1/2" across the handles, 1 1/4" in depth and weighs 6.105 ounces. It is stamped "Randahl Sterling 65". There are the numbers "11 26 40" lightly scratched beneath the hallmark which could indicate the date produced or perhaps purchased by the original owner. Lovely piece from a noted Chicago silversmith.