The firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was located at 27 High Street and 140-146 West Street from 1886. After the death of Mr Hutton, the business was continued under the same style by the founder's son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843). William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and about 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (born 1839) and Robert (born 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons. A London showroom was opened in 1863 at 13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later at 7 Farrington Road until 1918. In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks. The last of Hutton family was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
This gorgeous sterling silver tea biscuit basket was made in London and carries the following hallmarks on the inside base of the basket. Hallmark of William Hutton & Sons Ltd ( H surrounded by W- Ld - & - Ss), Leopard Head for London Assay Office, Lion Passant for .925 Sterling and Date 'O' for 1909. On the underside are several other stamps and "29543". The oval, boat-shaped, open basket consists of a solid base and reticulated sides resembling an elegant porch railing or garden fence. The gently flared rim has a delicate open scroll motif with ribbed edging and is adorned with a raised shell on both sides and ends. The basket measures 9 1/2" in length, 6 1/8" in width and 2" in height at the ends and weighs 6.345 ounces. In wonderful condition with no damages or breaks in the reticulated design. Great piece of circa 1900 London Sterling Silver.