Volkstedt porcelain sited in Rudolstadt, Thuringia, Germany, was the earliest porcelain manufacturer in Thuringia. It is still in business as Aelteste Volkstedter Porzellanmanufaktur, the "Oldest Volkstedt Porcelain Manufacturer", which was integrated into the VEB Vereinigte Zierporzellanwerke Lichte, which in turn forms part of the Kombinat Feinkeramik Kahla. The factory had its origins in an official request made September 8, 1760 by the porcelain maker Georg Heinrich Macheleid (1723-1801). Macheleid had long worked in the glass manufacturer at Glücksthal and had gained knowledge of porcelain-making through his own research. He wished to open a porcelain factory, making true hard-paste porcelain. In 1762 the privilege was granted by Johann Friederich, Fürst von Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
Although the Dresden figurines usually portrayed beautiful women or occasionally a man and woman, a singular male figure is somewhat scarce. This wonderful Aeiteste Volkstedt figure, circa 1945-1972, is that of a Colonial gentleman holding a rose blossom for his beloved. Attired in rose/pink waist coat with gold decoration, blue/green knee length pants, rose blossom printed shirt, white lace ascot scarf and shirt cuffs along with long white socks and black slippers with pink bows, he is quite dapper indeed. His facial features are highlighted by this whitish gray powdered wig tied with a black bow in the back. In his right hand he holds a single yellow rose blossom. The figure stands 7" in height and is stamped in blue with the Volkstedt Logo and '1762'. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint condition.