McKee Glass was founded in 1834, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by the McKee Brothers. They also went under the names J. & F. McKee, Bryce, McKee & Company, McKee and Brothers, National Glass Company and McKee Glass Company. Five brothers were involved in the company with James and Samuel involved in other McKee factories as well. They produced window glass, bottles, Depression glass, milk glass, kitchenware and much more.
In the 1850’s, they opened up a factory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, producing flint and pressed glass. In 1888, they moved the factory to Jeanette, Pennsylvania, and within a year, combined with the National Glass Company. In 1903, they reorganized as the McKee Glass Company. They produced milk glass, pressed glass and window glass. In 1917, they made glass headlight lenses for Dodge. In 1951, they were sold and became the McKee Division of the Thatcher Glass Manufacturing Company.
They were later acquired by the Jeannette Glass Company and finally closed down for good in 1983'
This lovely high standard open compote is the 'Swirl & Ball' pattern, circa 1894. The embossed swirl and ball motif is concentrated on the bottom of the bowl and the raised base of the pedestal, along with a swirl baluster style pedestal. The compote measures 8" across; 7 1/2" in height and 4 1/2" across the base. There are no cracks ,chips or repairs.
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Fine Antiques & Vintage Items Always Being Added For Your Shopping Pleasure. Serious Offers Considered