John Adams started in the glass business as an apprentice previous to 1846. In 1851, Adams opened his own glass factory. By 1861, it was considered one of the largest glass factories in the Pittsburgh area. After purchasing the burned out factory site of Challinor and Taylor in 1884, the company merged into the United States Glass Co., otherwise known as U.S. Glass, as "Factory A" in 1891. In 1892, members of the Adams and Co. partnership who joined U.S. Glass Co. disposed of their stock and withdrew from the glass business. U.S. Glass Co. continued to operate the factory until the 1930s
This beautiful high standard covered compote is the horseshoe pattern also referred to as prayer rug and good luck. The pattern consists of embossed prayer rugs, branches of leaves, beads, loops and rays. The outstanding feature is the horseshoe finial on the lid which contains a cross and anchor design. The compote measures 8" across and 7 3/4" in height for the base and 12" in height to the top of the finial. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; minor roughness along the edge of the lid which can be barely felt, probably done during the manufacturing process.