The George Duncan & Sons (1874 - 1892) glass factory was founded in 1874 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as a partnership of George Duncan, his two sons Harry B. and James E. Sr. and George's son in law Augustus H. Heisey. One of their signature patterns was known by some as 'Shell & Tassel'.
This lovely square pedestal open compote is the shell & tassel pattern, #155, which was made in 1881. The pattern consists of a curved sea shell design with a tassel design separating them. The compote measures 7 3/4" across and 7 1/4" in height; the base measures 4 5/8" across. The top plate has four sea shells, one on each corner, separated by the tassel design. On the arched base the pattern is repeated only twice. There are no cracks, chips or repairs.