Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., in 1877. In 1882 the business was reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem. The business was incorporated in 1899 as Doulton & Co. and Doulton was granted a Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products by King Edward VII in 1901.
This beautiful 'Islamic" series ware transfer plate, circa 1902-1922, is decorated with an over-all Persian pattern of flowers, leaves, scrolls and geometric designs against a stippled background. The under-glaze, vivid colors of cobalt blue, dusty rose, yellow and green present a striking image. The plate measures 10 1/2" across and is stamped in brown with the Royal Doulton mark, circa 1902-1922, and the pattern number D3088. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; some minor stains on the underside of the plate. Great decorator cabinet plate.