Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., in 1877. In 1882 the business was reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem. The business was incorporated in 1899 as Doulton & Co. and Doulton was granted a Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products by King Edward VII in 1901.
This lovely "Cyprus" pattern transfer polychrome plate, circa 1902-1922, is decorated with stylized marigold floral and leaves. The center is composed of floral cartouches and the wide border is covered with over-lapping foliage. The brown transfer printed pattern is enhanced by cobalt blue, verdigris green and yellow under-glaze colors and iron-red over-glaze highlights. This presents an aesthetic movement flavor. The plate measures 10 1/2" across and is stamped in brown with the Royal Doulton mark & "Cyprus", circa 1902-1922. The pattern number D2268 is faint and several other markings are present. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; there is a darkened line across the back which is either a scratch or very tight hairline.