Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., in 1877. In 1882 the business was reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem. The business was incorporated in 1899 as Doulton & Co. and Doulton was granted a Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products by King Edward VII in 1901.
This lovely Canal scenic transfer polychrome plate, circa 1902-1922, is decorated with a scene of Venice and two gondolas floating on the canal in the foreground and St Mark's in the background. The wide border is composed of a continuous scroll and floral motif. Colors of deep red, green, white, blue and russet shades are applied over the under-glaze. sepia transfer motif and honey glaze to highlight the large gondola, landing dock and gondolier. The plate measures 10 1/4" across and is stamped in brown with the Royal Doulton mark & "Copyright", circa 1902-1922. The pattern number D3039 as well as several other markings. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Great decorator cabinet plate.