Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., in 1877. In 1882 the business was reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem. The business was incorporated in 1899 as Doulton & Co. and Doulton was granted a Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products by King Edward VII in 1901.
This lovely English Castles transfer polychrome plate, circa 1900-1920, is decorated with an English countryside scene in the center, consisting of a building and tree lined canal with families enjoying a boat outing. The wide border is composed of a continuous scroll and floral motif. Colors of deep red and green are applied over the under-glaze transfer motif to highlight the scroll and floral border and family boats. The plate measures 10 1/2" across and is stamped in brown with the Royal Doulton mark, circa 1902-1922. It is also faintly impressed "Doulton Burslem England", the pattern number D2950 as well as several other markings. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Great decorator cabinet plate.
Royal Doulton Transfer Polychrome "English Castles" Series Ware Plate - Pattern D2950