G.L. Ashworth & Bros (Ltd.), Broad Street, Hanley, Staffordshire potteries, circa 1862-1968, produced earthen-wares, ironstone and other ceramic wares.
George Ashworth became a partner of Francis Morley at Broad Street in 1859 but subsequently took over the works in his own right later taking his brothers into the firm. Most famous for their reproductions of Masons Ironstones which they started producing after purchasing the moulds and copperplates of that famous company when Charles James Mason closed his works at Lane Delph in 1858. They also continued Morleys work after 1862 and produced some fine new patterns in ironstone
This wonderful Chinese-influenced motif is a lovely combination of floral, leaves, scrolls and geometric shapes which creates a beautiful over-all design. It incorporates applied colors of black, red and mustard over the under-glaze transfer design of black and gray to create a wonderful polychrome contrast against the white background. The plate, circa 1891, measures 10 1/4" across and is stamped in black "Ashworth Bros", a crown, ribbon containing "Hanley" and "England". In red the pattern number "B9466". This is an older Francis Morley pattern. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Fantastic color and intricate design.