J. Tostrup was founded in 1832 by Jacob Tostrup (1806-1890) in Christiania (now Oslo), Norway. As a boy, Tostrup was an apprentice at a local silversmith. He then received a thorough education in all aspects of the jewelry trade while studying under master goldsmith Christopher Desingthun in Bergen. He spent a brief period of time in Saint Petersburg, working on projects for the Russian imperial court, before returning to Christiania in to establish his own business, which continues today.
This lovely tea caddy spoon, circa 1950's-1960's, is sterling silver with ornate geometric designed handle with mint green enamel and gilt highlights. It measures 5 5/8" in length and weighs 1.120 ounces. Stamped "Sterling - J. Tostrup - Norway" with company insignia. Because of its size it would be prefect for serving condiments, mints or nuts. The "Sterling - Norway" stamp was first used shortly after the end of World War II. Excellent condition with no damages or repairs.