The Waterford Glass House was founded by brothers George and William Penrose in 1783. They made the bold promise to produce "as fine a quality of any in Europe in the most elegant style". Waterford owners were forced to close in 1851 because of lack of capital and crushing taxes and as a result the trade lay dormant for a hundred years. The company was rekindled in 1947 and has regained it's place on the world stage of quality merchandise.
This lovely Waterford cut crystal vase, circa 1970, is the 'Clare' pattern. The motif consists of alternating vertical rows of diamond and horizontal cuts which are crowned with fan-shaped flourishes just below the rim. The vase measures 8" in height, 4" across the top and 2 1/2" across the base. It is stamped "Waterford" along the edge of the base. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Lovely sparkle.