The Greener & Company, Sunderland, England, was founded in 1858 under the name of Wear Flint Glass Works. In 1885 the name was changed to Greener & company, which operated until 1921.
The 'Contessa" pattern was introduced in 1890 bearing the registry number 160244. This lovely posy basket rests on four feet, has a scroll at each end with a garland design along the top edge, The basket is pinched inward at the center which supports two looped handles. The entire object is covered with opalescent tipped hobnails with opalescent decorated rim and handles. The basket was produced in blue, canary and the rare amber shade of this piece. The registry number '160244' appears on the inside base. The basket measures 7" in length, 4 1/2" in height and 3" in width. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Lovely.