Gillinder came to the United States in 1853 and worked for at time at the New England Glass Company in East Cambridge, Mass., making paperweights. He moved to such places as Pittsburgh and St. Louis before settling in Philadelphia in 1861.
Gillinder bought a glassworks there that he renamed the Franklin Flint Glass Works. He was joined by Edwin Bennett in 1863 and the company changed its name to Gillinder and Bennett. Then Gillinder's two sons, James and Frederick, joined the firm, which became Gillinder and Sons.
This lovely set of 6 fruit/sauce bowls is the "Classic" pattern, circa 1875. Made in non-flint frosted and clear glass. The pattern consist of figures from Greek mythology which are featured on the pieces along with the daisy & button design, oak leaves, acorns and tree log feet. Pieces with the individual log feet are more desirable than the collared base form. The six-sided bowls consists of six arched panels, three with clear daisy & button design and three with frosted images of cupids. The pieces rest on six log feet with an oak leaf and acorn decorated base. The bowls measure 2 1/8" in height and 4 1/4" across. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Scarce pattern.