Gillinder came to the United States in 1853 and worked for at time at the New England Glass Company in East Cambridge, Mass., making paperweights. He moved to such places as Pittsburgh and St. Louis before settling in Philadelphia in 1861.
Gillinder bought a glassworks there that he renamed the Franklin Flint Glass Works. He was joined by Edwin Bennett in 1863 and the company changed its name to Gillinder and Bennett. Then Gillinder's two sons, James and Frederick, joined the firm, which became Gillinder and Sons.
This wonderful plate is the "Classic" pattern, circa 1875. Made in non-flint frosted and clear glass. The frosted pattern in the center of the plate portrays a Greek warrior on horseback slaying a ferocious lion. The signature of the designer 'P S Jacobus' is impressed in the lower right. The border of the plate is composed of six arches with the daisy and button design and six half-circles with an oak leaf design. The plate measures 11 1/4" across. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Scarce pattern.