Geo. Duncan and Sons was started in Pittsburgh in 1874. In March 1877, Geo. Duncan passes away, but the company keeps the name. The company is then run by George's son, James E., and George's son-in-law, A. H. Heisey. In 1886, the company officially changed it's name to Duncan and Heisey, but was locally still known as Geo. Duncan and Sons.
This lovely novelty, amber glass, 'whisk broom' was introduced in 1886 and made in a variety of colors. In the exact shape of a whisk broom it measures 7 1/2" in length and 5" in width at the base of the broom. The top portion has the popular embossed daisy & button pattern. On the smooth side of the handle is embossed "Pat Apl For". Made originally to serve pickles it could be used for many purposes. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Nice EAPG piece.