Charles Field Haviland left America for Limoges in the early 1850s to work originally for his uncle, David Haviland founder of Haviland and Company and rented a porcelain factory in partnership with his father and brother. Subsequently he opened his own decorating studio for porcelain to export items to the US and in 1868 purchased a porcelain manufacturing company.
He married the granddaughter of Francois Alluaud and later took control of the Alluaud porcelain factory, one of the oldest Limoges factories. Charles Field retired in 1881 and the company became known as Gerard, Dufraisseix and Morel using the white ware mark GDM. The partners changed around 1890 and the company was subsequently called - Gerard and Dufraisseix and eventually Gerard, Dufraisseix and Abbot (mark GDA).
This lovely hand painted footed cache pot or vase, circa 1876-1881, is in the form of a triangle. Each side is decorated with a different floral motif in a vivid pallet of blues, greens, yellows, crimsons, purples, pinks and white. The piece rests on three cone-shaped gold feet and stands 8 1/2" in height. The sides, which are slightly convex, measure 5" in width. A fair amount of CFH France does not have the company decorator mark even though the piece was actually factory decorated. Factory or outside studio, it is lovely. The condition is very good with the exception that a small chip has been smoothed out at one corner of the top edge, (see photo) It gives the illusion that the finish is worn at this spot. Priced accordingly.