Pickard, Inc., the premier Chicago decorating studio was founded by Wilder A. Pickard, who was born on a farm near Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. His first studio was located in Edgerton, Wisconsin, and soon was relocated to Chicago where it still exists today. The largest and most famous decorating Chicago studio, Pickard attracted the best of the best artists of the time.
Edward S. Challinor was probably the most notable of the Pickard Studio family of great artists. Edward was born in England in 1877 and began his apprenticeship in the family pottery at the age of seventeen. He married in 1899 and in 1903 left his wife and daughter to find employment in America. Joining Pickard in Chicago, his family soon joined him. He was not only a fine artist, but accomplished musician and a good actor. It is said he mixed his own colors, a secret he never shared with the other artists. He became a master of the china decorating medium, especially in his later pastel-colored scenics. His career spanned 1903 until his death in 1952. In 1926 he was promoted to the post of art director of the company.
This is plate #4 of a matching set of 12 charger plates created by E. Challinor for the Pickard Studio, circa 1920's, Each of the fantastic plates portray a slightly different pastel-colored scenic motif of floral gardens, peaceful lakes and streams, distant villages, majestic mountains, stately columns, stone fences and steps, flower filled urns and gorgeous colored trees and evergreens. The wide array of soft pastel shades must have utilized the artist's entire pallet. The beautiful buttery yellow surrounding the scenic motif is decorated with an elegant gold tracery design and colorful floral filled gold urns. The band surrounding the center and outer border is a lovely gold encrusted laurel pattern. Even the underneath ridge resting on the table is gold covered. The name 'charger' is given to these plates as they are larger than the normal dinner plate and were not made to be used for food. They were intended for decorative purposes or for use as an under-plate to hold the regular dinner plate in elegant table settings.
The plates measure 10 5/8" across and are marked with Mark #11, etched gold coat of arms, circa 1925-1930. The first registered trademark of Pickard Studios, Inc. and first used on September 1, 1925. They also carry the green stamp for Heinrich & Co., Selb Bavaria. Each central scene is signed 'Challinor'. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; minor scuffs on the encrusted gold bands can be detected ,
This is a fabulous original set of 12 charger plates. They have been individually listed so you may pick and choose the plate or plates you wish. If you are interested in the entire set of 12, it pay be purchased for $2150 plus S/H/I.
7 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Christmas is fast approaching. Over 2400 jewelry, porcelain, glass and other great gift items from which to choose.