Perhaps best known for their marbles, the Akro Agate Company produced a wonderful collection of dishes for children out of slag and glass in the depression glassware era of the 1930s and 1940s.
The Akro Agate Company was founded in Akron, Ohio by George T. Rankin and Gilbert C. Marsh in 1910. By 1911, they registered their trademark of the crow clutching a marble in each talon and one in its beak as it flies through a capital letter A. By 1914, the company had relocated to Clarksburg, West Virginia. Because of production cost the company closed in 1951.
This wonderful 12-piece set, in yellow, white and pumpkin, is the stacked disc pattern with the concentric rib pattern on the interior of the cups. The 4 yellow plates measure 4 1/4" across, the 4 white saucers measure 3 1/4" across and the 4 pumpkin cups measure 2 1/4" across and 1 3/8" in height. The pieces are marked with the Akro Agate emblem. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; near mint.