The Lladro Porcelain company was founded in 1953 by three brothers, Juan, Jose and Vicente Lladro, in the village of Almassera near Valencia. Starting with items such as vases and jugs, it wasn't until 1956 that they started producing the sculptures for which they are now most famous. Enthusiasm for the items produced by the Lladro brothers saw their small workshop expand several times until eventually they moved to Tavernes Blanques in 1958.
Among their wide variety of quality sculptures are rare figurines portraying people with animals. This particular sculpture of a clown, lady friend and two adorable puppies was sculptured by Juan Huerta for the Lladro Society. Entitled "Pals Forever" it is "Nuevos Amigos" in Spanish.
The young girl is attired in long white dress, mauve coat with yellow daisy on her lapel. Her medium brown hair is pulled-up on the top of her head. Her friend, the clown, is dressed in white T-shirt, baggy steel-gray pants with russet-colored suspenders, gray gloves and light yellow hat. His face has grease paint make-up. Both are clutching white poodle puppies.
The figurine, without base, measures 8 3/4" in height, 4 3/4" in width and has an oval wood base measuring 7 1/2" in length by 4 1/4" in width. Stamped in dark blue with Society Circle Mark, Lladro "Bellflower" and "Lladro - Hand Made in Spain " and incised pattern number "7686". In the original box, with separate box for base. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; as near mint as possible. A darling Lladro sculpture